Monday 20 October 2014

My new favourite film.

I'm not much of a film buff,
but last night on the app Yplan, a friend and I found tickets to the BFI film festival in London.
The film we went to see was called Monsters: The dark continent, and as it's the sequel to a film I already think is quietly brilliant, we thought we'd give it a bash.

The reason I loved the first film so much was for it's beauty - it combined a powerful story of two very complex characters, with a journey across a ruined, unimaginably beautiful landscape. Again, not usually that into films, but this was so unexpectedly jaw-dropping, on such a low budget, that it's stuck with me since I first saw it and I've watched it a million times since.  (Not actually a million, but a lot.)
I'd put the trailer on, but it doesn't do the film justice, just watch it... here's the poster.


The sequel, which I saw yesterday, is the same situation - alien creatures have come down in the crash of a space probe, they're everywhere, but this time we find ourselves in the Middle East, where alongside the war on terror, the American army find themselves up against a whole new kind of monster.  We follow the story of a group of new recruits, and all the emotional and physical toll this takes. It's the most gripping, gritty, thrilling, realistic account of how people would respond in those times.  This time I will put on the trailer, even though it still doesn't do it justice.  


Watch these films, and I promise you won't regret it.  Well, you might.  But I won't regret you watching it, because I want people to talk to about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment me.