Monday 16 March 2015

Ikea hack: Picture Board

Recently I moved home, and in doing so, realised that I'm a hoarder. I have stupendous amounts of pretty things squirrelled away in drawers and cupboards - It was time to do something about this.
So, I constructed a... thing?... that would display them in all their emotional glory.
Okay, so only emotional to me. But still glorious to anyone else.






This is super simple - The frame is from IKEA, as is the material on the back of the frame. The fabric dept in IKEA sell offcuts of their materials for about five quid for a huge sheet, I chose this one as the colours go with my room brilliantly, and I enjoyed that it made the frame look like a little indoor window. The supports across the frame are simply branches, it was nice to bring a little nature inside.

To construct I just removed the back of the frame, and the glass, sealed in the treated branches with black silicon sealant, glued the material to the back of the frame and nailed it in for security. It didn't feel that simple when I was doing it, and I definitely nearly glued the whole thing to the floor, but the actual process as a whole wasn't too arduous. It helped having the moral support and unmatched logical advice of my two housemates, sat in my bed in their pyjamas watching me as I constructed it, of course... 

The patterned clips I used to attach my images are from Tiger - If you've never experienced a Tiger store, find one. They're full of pointless items that you'll never need, but you'll want all of it, and it's super cheap.

So there you have it - My Sunday afternoon activity... Not difficult, but highly rewarding, creating something unique for my wall with nothing but an old frame and some cheap material!
Keeping an eye out for other IKEA hacks to try out, as this was actually really enjoyable to see completed. Watch this space!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment me.